Hilo oficial de la guerra PC vs Consolas

Samsung enseña la memoria DDR4 en la Intel Developer's Conference. Curiosos los comentarios de Britght Side of the News acerca de la memoria DDR4, que no cuentan con que esté disponible hasta 2015 en desktops y laptops, pero en teoría podría estar disponible en la XBOX 720... en 2013!
Samsung Shows off 16GB DDR4 2133 MHz at IDF 2012 - Bright Side Of News*
Samsung Shows off 16GB DDR4 2133 MHz at IDF 2012
9/18/2012 by: Anshel Sag - Get more from this author

Hiding in a corner of Samsung's booth was one of their latest innovations. Samsung Semiconductor decided to show off some of their DDR4 memory chips, wafers, and sticks of memory at this year's Intel IDF 2012. This little display of their latest memory technologies was the first time that Samsung publicly showed off their DDR4 chips and modules, not in a press release capacity.
DSC_0950_689.jpg

The modules that they were showing off were 16GB modules populated by thirty six 30nm memory chips at 4 gigabits per chip. In addition to being extremely high density, these sticks are also very fast for being 'server' memory. These chips on these modules are specced to run at 2133 MHz, which could lead to some very impressive memory bandwidth numbers if Haswell-EX is quad-channel DDR4 as it is expected to be. DDR4 is expected to be available for testing in limited quantities in some Intel servers towards the tail end of 2013, but those systems will be extremely numbered.
DSC_0948_689.jpg

The truth of the matter is that DDR4 will not really be available in servers until 2014 and probably won't make its way to desktops or laptops until 2015 or later. This is purely because there aren't any memory controllers capable of running DDR4 at this moment. Not to mention, in the memory industry it is standard practice to show the memory in public approximately two years before it will actually start being usable in systems for integration.
DSC_0945_689.jpg

While no official standard has been announced yet by JEDEC it is clear that they are near the completion of the standard. DDR4 is also expected to run at 1.2v, which is once again lower than the current 1.5v of current generation DDR3 and much lower than older generation 1.65. The truth is that this standard could have a large effect on how Intel shapes their memory controller for Haswell-EX, however, that appears to have already been planned. While we don't quite know Intel's exact future plans for memory voltages, 1.2v doesn't necessarily sound off the table.
DSC_0951_689.jpg

The funny thing is that, currently, Intel's highest officially supported memory clockspeed is only 1600 MHz, while many consumer motherboards advertise 2400 MHz capability. So, we can likely expect Intel to bump up the officially supported memory clocks to somewhere around 2133 in 2014. This is all so far out at this point that we can only speculate what Intel will do, but the memory manufacturers have done a good job of pushing memory standards and higher performance ahead of the platforms.

We hope to see more about DDR4 in the coming months and will keep you updated as we learn and see more from companies like Samsung, Micron and Hynix.

© 2009 - 2012 Bright Side Of News*, All rights reserved.

Mientras sale un nuevo modelo de PS3:
TGS: New PlayStation 3 Model Is Official - IGN
TGS: New PlayStation 3 Model Is Official
It's smaller and packing more gigabytes, but it's the same price.
by Greg Miller
September 18, 2012

Sony's never been that great about keeping redesigned video game hardware a secret, so it's no surprise that the much rumored PlayStation 3 model debuted this evening at Tokyo Game Show.

8001374977d3a2866bc4bjpg-9d91f1_800w-610x459.jpg

Sleeker and slimmer, the new PS3 comes in "charcoal black," but Japan gets the super-special "classic white" option. Sony says that the internal volume and weight of the new PS3 is less than half of the original system. It's 20 percent and 25 percent less volume/weight compared to the current PS3 Slim.

80013750550be12360f1bjpg-44154e800w

Different regions will see different versions of the systems along with different prices.

North America

250GB - $269 (Uncharted 3/Dust 514 Bundle) - September 25th
500GB - $299 - October 30th

Europe and PAL Territories

Flash Memory 12GB - 229 Euros, AUD $299.95, NZD $399.95 - October 12th (September 27th AU, October 18th NZ)
500GB - 299 Euros, AUD $399.95, NZD $519.95 - September 28th (September 27th ANZ)

Japan

250GB - 24,900 Yen - October 4th
500GB - 29,800 Yen - October 4th

What's that Uncharted 3/Dust 514 bundle all about? Well, you get Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception and a voucher for more than $30 worth of bonus content for Dust 514.

Mientras AMD continúa su descenso a los abismos bursátiles... y seguimos sin tener ni siquiera rumores de las GPUs de la siguiente generación de consolas.
Can You Believe It: GameStop Now Worth More Than AMD
Can You Believe It: GameStop Now Worth More Than AMD
01:48 - Wednesday 19 September 2012 by Wolfgang Gruener - source: Forbes

If you had invested your money in AMD in June, you would have lost about 30 percent. Had you invested in Gamestop, you would have made about 25 percent and hold shares of a company that is now valued higher than AMD.

***owing the resignation of CFO Thomas Seifert, AMD's stock fell about 10 percent in Tuesday trading and landed at $3.62, a 41-month low. The market capitalization is now $2.56 billion and below the market capitalization of GameStop, which passed AMD today with $2.77 billion. GameStop is now listed #486 on the S&P 500 list, while AMD fell to #487.

The declining market cap is approaching now approaching the total debt volume of the company, which stood at $2.02 billion at the end of the second quarter, with total current contract obligations of $4.2 billion. Last month, AMD was required to make a $485 million payment - the outstanding principal amount on $1.5 billion worth of 5.75 percent convertible senior notes that were issued in August of 2007 to overcome financial problems that were tied to the processor price war with Intel as well as the aftershock of the ATI acquisition.

Seifert mentioned this payment in the Q2 earnings call and said that he felt comfortable making the payment from the $1.58 billion cash reserve of the company, but noted that the company is monitoring other "potential opportunities" due to the weak economy, which would require AMD to keep more cash on hand. The company did not update this statement so far - a cash payment would send the company deep into the red for Q3, but it may have decided to refinance the debt.

AMD faces the next big cash payment of $225 million to Globalfoundries in Q1 2013. There are several other debt items that, however, will not be due until 2015 and later. There will be a $580 million payment due in 2015, a $500 million payment in 2017 and another $500 million in 2020.

With the economy weakening, PC sales tumbling and the stock value declining, financial analysts are more than likely to pay attention to AMD's debt position.

Última edición:
Solo los usuarios registrados pueden ver el contenido de este tema, mientras tanto puedes ver el primer y el último mensaje de cada página.

Regístrate gratuitamente aquí para poder ver los mensajes y participar en el foro. No utilizaremos tu email para fines comerciales.

Únete al mayor foro de economía de España

Última edición:
Solo los usuarios registrados pueden ver el contenido de este tema, mientras tanto puedes ver el primer y el último mensaje de cada página.

Regístrate gratuitamente aquí para poder ver los mensajes y participar en el foro. No utilizaremos tu email para fines comerciales.

Última edición:

Última edición:

Última edición:

Las cartas oficiales de Sinofsky y Ballmer al respecto:

These Were Sinofsky's Final Words to Microsoft Employees
These Were Sinofsky's Final Words to Microsoft Employees
03:08 - Tuesday 13 November 2012 by Marcus Yam - source: Tom's Hardware US

Gotta love that Surface RT commitment.
Microsoft-Sinofsky,Q-O-359952-13.jpg

Microsoft's former Windows boss is now no longer a part of the world's largest software company. Here is his letter to all Microsoft employees (via WinSuperSite).

Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 6:42 PM
To: Microsoft - All Employees (QBDG)
Subject: RE: Windows Leadership Changes

With the general availability of Windows 8/RT and Surface, I have decided it is time for me to take a step back from my responsibilities at Microsoft. I’ve always advocated using the break between product cycles as an opportunity to reflect and to look ahead, and that applies to me too.

After more than 23 years working on a wide range of Microsoft products, I have decided to leave the company to seek new opportunities that build on these experiences. My passion for building products is as strong as ever and I look forward focusing my energy and creativity along similar lines.

The Windows team, in partnerships across all of Microsoft and our industry, just completed products and services introducing a new era of Windows computing. It is an incredible experience to be part of a generational change in a unique product like Windows, one accomplished with an undeniable elegance. Building on Windows, Surface excels in design and utility for a new era of PCs. With the Store, Internet Explorer, Outlook.com, SkyDrive and more, each of which lead the way, this experience is connected to amazing cloud services.

It is inspiring to think of these efforts making their way into the hands of Microsoft’s next billion customers. We can reflect on this project as a remarkable achievement for each of us and for the team. Our work is not done, such is the world of technology, and so much more is in store for customers.
It is impossible to count the blessings I have received over my years at Microsoft. I am humbled by the professionalism and generosity of everyone I have had the good fortune to work with at this awesome company. I am beyond grateful.

I have always promised myself when the right time came for me to change course, I would be brief, unlike one of my infamous short blog posts, and strive to be less memorable than the products and teams with which I have been proudly and humbly associated. The brevity of this announcement is simply a antiestéticature.

Some might notice a bit of chatter speculating about this decision or timing. I can assure you that none could be true as this was a personal and private choice that in no way reflects any speculation or theories one might read—about me, opportunity, the company or its leadership.

As I’ve always believed in making space for new leaders as quickly as possible, this announcement is effective immediately and I will assist however needed with the tras*ition.

I am super excited for what the future holds for the team and Microsoft.

With my deepest appreciation,

Steven Sinofsky

Sent from Surface RT

Steve Ballmer's Memo on Windows President's Departure
Steve Ballmer's Memo on Windows President's Departure
03:48 - Tuesday 13 November 2012 by Zak Islam - source: CNET

In order for firm to be successful, "it is imperative that we continue to drive alignment across all Microsoft teams, and have more integrated and rapid development cycles for our offerings."

***owing the departure of Steve Sinofsky, former president of Windows and Windows Live, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has responded to his exit via a memo.

While Sinofsky's departure is purportedly mutual, Ballmer said that in order for Microsoft to continue to be successful, "it is imperative that we continue to drive alignment across all Microsoft teams, and have more integrated and rapid development cycles for our offerings."

Sinofsky, who has been with Microsoft since 1989, managed the recent launch of Surface and Windows 8, which was touted as the most ambitious project carried out by the software giant since Windows 95.

Ballmer's full memo regarding Sinofsky's departure is as ***ows:

Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 5:16 PM
To: Microsoft - All Employees (QBDG)
Subject: Windows Leadership Changes

Over the past few months we have delivered the foundation for a new era for Microsoft. From Office to Bing to Windows Phone and Windows Azure, to Xbox and of course Windows and Surface and everything in between, we've unleashed a huge wave of devices and services that people and businesses love. I simply couldn't be more proud of the effort you have all put in to get us here and to set the foundation for our future. At the Windows launch in New York, at the Windows Phone event in San Francisco, and again at the Build event on Redmond campus, I was struck that while externally many people look at these events as the finish line, they really represent the starting line of a new era.

As we enter this new era, and with the successful launch of Windows 8 and Surface behind us, Steven Sinofsky has decided to leave the company. Steven joined Microsoft in 1989 as a software development engineer and has contributed to the company in many ways from his work as a technical advisor to Bill Gates, to leading the evolution of the Microsoft Office business, to his direction and successful leadership of Windows and Windows Live as well as Surface. I am grateful for the work that Steven has delivered in his time at our company.

Effective immediately, Julie Larson-Green will lead Windows engineering. She will be responsible for all product development for Windows and Windows Live, in addition to Surface. Julie has been a stalwart leader of building compelling "experiences" from her time on Internet Explorer, through the evolution of Office and most recently to the re-imagination of Windows. Her unique product and innovation perspective and proven ability to effectively collaborate and drive a cross company agenda will serve us well as she takes on this new leadership role. All of the current Windows engineering teams will report into Julie, and Julie will report to me.

Tami Reller will lead business and marketing strategy for Windows including Surface and partner devices. She will provide broad stewardship to our PC marketing efforts while managing the line business ********s for Windows. Her work on Windows since 2007 has been exemplary and her strong talents in working with internal groups and partners will also serve us well. Tami also will report to me.

We are facing a time of great opportunity. What we have accomplished over the past few years is nothing short of amazing, and I know we have more amazing in us. I am excited about our people, I am energized by our ability to change and grow, and I look forward to the success which lies ahead. Thank you for all you do, and please join me in congratulating our new leadership and celebrating all that we have accomplished so far.

Steve

Volver