Hilo oficial de la guerra PC vs Consolas

Solo los usuarios registrados pueden ver el contenido de este tema, mientras tanto puedes ver el primer y el último mensaje de cada página.

Regístrate gratuitamente aquí para poder ver los mensajes y participar en el foro. No utilizaremos tu email para fines comerciales.

Únete al mayor foro de economía de España

Solo los usuarios registrados pueden ver el contenido de este tema, mientras tanto puedes ver el primer y el último mensaje de cada página.

Regístrate gratuitamente aquí para poder ver los mensajes y participar en el foro. No utilizaremos tu email para fines comerciales.

Última edición:

Última edición:

Última edición:

Última edición:
Interesante el último artículo de Jeremy Laird, cubre todo lo que ha pasado durante el último mes en el negocio - la venta de los procesadores Atom por parte de IBM, etc, etc. Resumiendo: Para sorpresa de muchos (pero no la nuestra), las ventas de tablets están bajando y las de PCs subiendo:

Week in Tech: The PC Is Dead, Long Live The PC | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Week in Tech: The PC Is Dead, Long Live The PC

By Jeremy Laird on October 23rd, 2014 at 9:00 pm.

You know the one about the New Scientist editor and his philosophy for the magazine, right? Science is interesting and if you don’t agree you can bugger off? It comes second hand via the shy, retiring figure that is Richard Dawkins and, for all I know, it’s probably apocryphal. But it’s at least in broadly the same ballpark as my feelings about the computer industry. It’s just had such a huge impact on the way we live. And none so much as the PC, even if the image of the poor old thing being devoured alive by a swarm of vicious mobile devices gets repeated so often, nobody really bothers to check if it’s true. And yes, we’ve been here before, kinda.

But in recent weeks it’s all become more baffling than ever. Try this for size: Record revenues for good old Intel, AMD laying off staff while another bit of what used to be AMD is paid $1.5 billion to take away what’s left of IBM’s chip production facility – deep breath – tablet sales tanking, PC sales taking up the slack, an Apple iPad chip with more tras*istors than an eight-core Intel PC processor, graphics chip vendors stuck on 28nm while Apple pinches all the 20nm production capacity…I’m not sure what to make of all, especially in terms of, ya know, simply playing games on PCs. But one thing is for sure, it’s interesting. And if you don’t agree…

The Intel in fine fettle versus AMD lurching from one disaster to another thing is a familiar refrain, I suppose. But for the record, Chipzilla recently shifted 100 million microprocessors in a single quarter (ie three-month period) for the very first time.

The result was record revenues for Intel (though not, as far as I can tell record profits, so the modern-day relleniton Gekkos that own all the shares no doubt remain unsatisfied). The good news, for what it’s worth, included a nine per cent upswing in client PC chip sales (in other words, boxes for gamers and wage slaves alike, not server or embedded processors), year-on-year.

As for AMD, it’s got a new CEO to go along with a new round of job lay-offs and the ever-present sense of imminent demise. Meanwhile, the company that used to be the bit of AMD that actually made chips, Global Foundries, has just acquired what’s left of IBM’s computer chip production facilities.

The weird bit here is that IBM actually paid Global Foundries $1.5 billion to take the bloody stuff off its hands. That’s how hard chip production has got these days. A company like IBM had fell behind so badly it had to pay billions to extract itself from the game.

Not that the fact manufacturers are rapidly approaching the physical limits of conventional chip production is a problem unique to the PC. But I can’t help noticing that Apple’s fancy new A8X chip in the new iPad Air is being made by none other than TSMC at 20nm (that’s a measure of the size of the tiny bits inside the chips and for decades the whole computer industry has been predicated on it becoming ever smaller, allowing faster and cheaper chips, google Moore’s Law for, er, more) .

It’s TSMC that pretty much makes all of AMD and Nvidia’s high performance graphics chips and the fact that they’ve been stuck for ages at 28nm waiting for TSMC to get its 20nm act together is something I’ve droned on about in posts passim.

But it turns out TSMC can make 20nm chips, it’s just Apple seems to have snapped up all the available allocation, which you’d think reflects where TSMC sees its priorities and the future – ie not the PC. Or maybe it’s just the allure of making the chip for one of the fruity firm’s new devices.

And while we’re talking about Apple’s A8X, the bloody thing’s got three billion tras*istors. In a tablet chip. Yes, yes I know it’s a sort of system-on-a-chip sort of chip with loads of non CPU-and-GPU functionality (though the iPad has plenty of other chips, let’s be clear). And we could even get into a discussion about layout versus schematic tras*istor counts (honestly, if you don’t know, you don’t need to). But even so, that’s way, way more than Intel’s top mainstream quad-core CPU for desktop PCs, the 1.4 billion tras*istor Core i7-4790K.

The really sobering comparison is that even Intel’s mighty eight-core Core i7-5960X only has 2.6 billion tras*istors. That’s $1,000 / £750 for a CPU with fewer tras*istors than another more complex chip that is just one part of an overall device with a touchscreen and wireless comms, a lithium battery pack and all the rest which is yours for just $500 / £400.

Of course, the biggest ever PC graphics chip, Nvidia’s GK110 as found in the GTX 780, 780Ti and various Titans tears the A8X a new Lightning port with over seven billion tras*istors. So a full-power PC is still the daddy. But it does make for an interesting value comparison.

On the other hand, and just to square this circumlocutory circle, we have news from tech industry soothsayers Gartner that tablet sales are now flatlining. From what I understand, what’s broadly happened is that everyone who wants and can afford a tablet kinda now has one, and the tablets they have basically work fine, so the big growth period is done.

The numbers are a bit complicated (you can see them here, if you care), but Gartner’s elevator pitch is thus: “Consumers’ attention is slowly going back to PC purchases as tablet adoption peaked with mainstream consumers.” Who’d a thunk it?

Any alternative to bashing endless orc-bots?

Anyway, all of this is interconnected in a fascinating but hard to properly pick apart kind of way. What exactly it all means for we gamers, well, don’t ask me.

Actually, when I say ‘we gamers’ I feel a bit fraudulent. I’ve been neglecting my gaming duties of late, what with a few projects on the go, and in an act of penance I’ve, *cough*, acquired an AMD Radeon R9 290X and set myself a mission of getting properly back on the horse.

Question for you lot, then, is what would you recommend to break in the new beast? I’ve got Shadow of Mordor and the Vanishing of Ethan Carter on my short list. What else should I be playing for a combination of middle-brow gaming pleasure and 1600p visual splendour? Actually, my current mood calls for something that falls bang in between Mordor and Ethan Carter in terms of the balance between bashing endless orc-bots to death and wandering around looking blankly at things while pulling the odd lever. Suggestions on a virtual postcard below, please.

De sus dos artículos anteriores (montarte un PC tu sólo frente a comprarlo hecho), voy a dejar su lista de prerrequisitos, para hacernos una idea de por donde anda hoy en día un PC de alta gama:
Is it cheaper to buy or build a PC? | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Intel Core i7-5820K.
M’favourite CPU. Here’s why.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 970.
There’s no reference board for this model, so you’ll want to look closely at the card in question – what’s the cooling like, what are the clocks?

Intel X99 motherboard.
I’m going to break the rules a bit here and say I favour the MSI X99S SLI PLUS for overall bang for buck. I’ve played with one and it’s exactly what I want from a value X99 board. I likey.

16GB of RAM.
To paraphrase the famously satirised James M. Kilts, fuck everything, I’m going straight to 16GB. Quad-channel config, of course.

A quality 600W-plus PSU.
That low-power GTX 970 board means I won’t need a 1,000W beast and I don’t do multi-GPU, anyway.

500GB SSD.
Several models are acceptable. But if it’s any worse than a Crucial MX100, I’ll be unhappy.

A case.
Probably a white one that looks like a stormtrooper’s storage box. Just because. But, seriously, needs good support for water cooling.

A water cooler.
For the CPU. Of the closed-loop variety. Once you’ve gone water, you won’t go back.

HDD.
None. Pre-built or DIY, it make no odds. I’m going to plunder my existing rig for mass storage.

Optical drive.
No thanks.

Por otra parte, a M$ no le va mal en el año fiscal 2015:
Microsoft: Solid Q1 FY15 Revenue Thanks to Cloud, Hardware

Dejo también unos pocos links a requisitos de sistema de varios juegos modernos (igual a Tito Pensa le interesa ver qué es lo que demandan):
Assassin's Creed: Unity's PC system requirements revealed • Eurogamer.net
This Is What You Need For CoD: Advanced Warfare PC
Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs - Blue's News Story

Y por cierto que la liaron parda los desarrolladores del Assasin's Creed con el rollo de que "prefieren 30fps a 60fps porque son como más cinemáticos" (cuando la realidad es porque las consolas no llegan a moverlos)
Is The Game Industry Dropping The 60 FPS Standard?
The Framerate Debate: 30 “Feels More Cinematic” Than 60 | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Assassin

Volver